Bratislava, August 8 (TASR) – The problem in the coalition is not so serious and the three coalition leaders are determined to carry on, stated one of the leaders, Most-Hid chairman Bela Bugar, at a briefing after an extraordinary Coalition Council session on Tuesday.
Bugar, who talked to journalists alone without the remaining two coalition leaders Robert Fico (Smer-SD) and Andrej Danko (Slovak National Party/SNS), added that the crisis that has emerged following Danko’s withdrawal from the coalition agreement hasn’t been concluded completely yet.
“It was clearly stated at today’s session that there is no alternative to this coalition, so the coalition leaders are determined to continue,” said Bugar, adding that the leaders will meet again on Friday (August 11) to discuss the issue further.
Bugar went on to say that there are no disputes between the coalition partners. “We’ve heard out each other’s opinions and we’ll continue with the talks,” said the Most-Hid head, noting that the alleged conflict in the coalition has emerged on the basis of “one letter”. “We’ve also heard [SNS] chairman Danko’s statement and we’ll continue on Friday. The fact that we are continuing means that it’s not so serious,” he said.
Neither Danko nor Fico showed up to talk to journalists following the extraordinary session, with the latter refusing to comment on the issue even before the meeting.
Danko earlier in the morning wasn’t able to say how the situation in the coalition would evolve, but he said that it was necessary to return “elementary respect” among coalition partners. According to Danko, it’s necessary to set priorities in the coalition, mainly pertaining to the social sphere and he believes that the coalition can’t go on without an “absolute revision” of the coalition agreement.