Bugar Rules Out Coalition Break-up over Mika, May Back Reznik

0
112
Most-Hid chairman Bela Bugar

Bratislava, June 16 (TASR) – The co-governing Most-Hid party won’t allow the coalition to break apart over head of public broadcaster Radio and Television Slovakia (RTVS) Vaclav Mika, said Most-Hid chairman Bela Bugar on Friday in response to Parliament’s vote on the new RTVS general director the day before.

In the first round of the vote, which involved eight candidates on Thursday, current News Agency of the Slovak Republic (TASR) general director Jaroslav Reznik was supported by 73 MPs out of the 147 legislators present, falling short of being elected by a single vote. Mika received 53 votes and will meet Reznik in the second round due next Tuesday.

In view of the aforementioned reason, Most-Hid isn’t ruling out the possibility that it will endorse Reznik’s bid for the top RTVS post come the second round of the vote next Tuesday, despite the fact that Most-Hid has previously taken a dim view of Reznik’s candidacy.

“As for those who think that, in the absence of an agreement within the Coalition and contrary to what our partners think, that we should vote for Mika … no, we won’t do such a thing. Chances are that we’ll vote for Mr. Reznik. We won’t let the coalition break up,” said Bugar.

According to Bugar, there are two possible scenarios at this juncture: one being that neither Mika, nor Reznik is elected and another vote takes place, or, alternatively, that Reznik is elected as RTVS general director.

Bugar went on to pin the blame for the situation that’s arisen on the Opposition, which he believes has “overthought” the vote to the point of acting in a counterproductive manner.

Parliamentary Vice-chairman Andrej Hrnciar (Most-Hid) said that an agreement had been struck with We Are Family chairman Boris Kollar on voting in favour for another candidate – Michal Ruttkay.

As a result, the Opposition was expected to endorse Ruttkay’s bid, but instead it made a last-minute decision to switch over to Mika.

At any rate, Bugar signalled more talks in the days to come. “We’ll discuss matters within our caucus, then with our coalition partners and, based on an agreement within the coalition, with the candidate himself,” said Bugar.

The decision by the Most-Hid caucus is expected to be made on Monday. In a situation involving a face-off between two candidates, an agreement will be needed that will bar any considerations of granting MPs a blank cheque, said Bugar.