Maskarova: Police Funding Shouldn't Be Linked to Sensitive Cases

Maskarova: Police Funding Shouldn't Be Linked to Sensitive Cases
Police Corps President Jana Maskarova (stock photo by TASR)

       Bratislava, 23 August (TASR) - I consider it to be important that the funding and staffing of the police shouldn't be linked to, or associated with, specific sensitive cases, nor should it be based on which specific individuals or legal entities are under investigation, Police Corps President Jana Maskarova told TASR on Saturday (22 August) in response to the statements made earlier in the day by Prime Minister Robert Fico (Smer-SD), noting that she welcomes any discussion on creating adequate conditions for police officers and specialist teams.
        "The Police Corps acts impartially and apolitically in its work and, when conducting investigations, is guided solely by the law, established facts and evidence. This must apply regardless of who the specific investigation concerns," pointed out Maskarova. If individual police units require additional personnel, technical resources or funding, she said these needs should be addressed systematically, transparently and on the basis of the actual requirements of police operations. "The Police Corps assesses these on an ongoing basis, and we address them as part of standard professional, managerial and budgetary processes with the Interior Ministry," she added.
        Maskarova stressed that the police will continue to act in accordance with the law, impartially and apolitically. In her view, upholding these principles is essential for public trust in the police.
        At a press conference on Saturday, the premier appealed to address the fraudulent disbursement of funds intended for the operation of mobile testing facilities, known as MOMs, calling on the police, the prosecutor's office and the media to take action. He further stated that this week's charges against A. K. [name abbreviated due to legal reasons], who, while employed by the Health Ministry, is alleged to have caused the ministry loss amounting to nearly €1.8 million, is merely the "tip of the iceberg" of fraudulent payments made during the COVID-19 pandemic. According to him, further information will come to light.
        Fico appealed to the police officers investigating cases involving the current opposition, and urged them not to remain silent if they lack sufficient staff, technical resources or funding, and declared that he can support Interior Minister Matus Sutaj Estok (Voice-SD) in ensuring that specialist teams received more funding from the budget.
        The call was also directed at the Prosecutor-General's Office, urging it to inform the Slovak public about the case. Prosecutor-General (PG) Maros Zilinka in response to the premier's call stated that the Prosecutor-General's Office is under no obligation to provide information on the steps and actions taken in relation to the case of the fraudulent disbursement of funds intended for the operation of MOMs, and added that the prime minister nor anyone else will dictate him when he should speak and what he should say. PG emphasised that the case is at an early stage of the preliminary investigation, which is a closed-door procedure.